This EAL resource builds up learners' knowledge of tsunamis as well as their speaking skills as pupils are guided through activities culminating in orally explaining the causes of a tsunami in Part 1 and orally recounting a historical tsunami in Part 2.
Part 1 - How a tsunami happens (ZIP)
Part 2 - Historical tsunamis (ZIP)
What’s in these resources?
Part 1 – How Does a Tsunami Happen?
• A visually supported text to jointly deconstruct, highlighting language features found in causal explanations;
• A graphic organiser for learners to visually represent cause and effect;
• Flashcards for learners to practice with, using multiple references of cause and effect;
• An activity that supports learners to give an oral explanation.
Part 2 – Historical Tsunamis
• A model text to demonstrate language features found in an historical account;
• A set of jigsaw readings along with maps to support learners’ ability to recount an event;
• A structured discussion to enable learners to use the language of justification.
On the right hand side of this page are a number of documents that you can download for free. Please note that the Teaching Notes and Resources can be found in the pdf document (the first item on the list), whilst the PowerPoint document(s) include(s) presentation(s) which you can display on your interactive board in your classroom.
© The Bell Educational Trust Limited. This resource is free to use for educational purposes.