- Do you work in a multicultural, multilingual classroom?
- Do you have policy responsibility for learners with English as an Additional Language (EAL)?
- Do you want to learn more about this diverse cohort of learners?
- Do you want to provide this cohort with the support they need to fulfil their potential?
If you answered ‘yes’ to any of these questions then why not join the 3,000+ teachers who have already engaged with The Bell Foundation’s range of quality assured EAL training opportunities, which have achieved a recommendation rate of 8.32/10.
Training opportunities include:
- Centres of Expertise: offering a three-year whole school staff development and support programme
- Summer School: one-day face-to-face courses
- EAL Webinars: free, one-hour, online webinars
Language for Results
“We have learnt this year that much of the content of the Language for Results programme will be just as helpful in terms of enhancing the skills of our under-achieving white British students as it is for EAL students, and it is the aim this year to widen the use of the programme to include these students.” Participating Academy Trust
Language for Results is a long term, not for profit, evaluated programme designed by The Bell Foundation, which seeks to improve the attainment of children who speak English as an Additional Language by developing the knowledge and skills of school staff, and by supporting the school to make its procedures and communications (even more) accessible and effective for EAL students and their parents. The programme is informed by research on EAL pupils’ educational achievement and school approaches to the education of EAL students carried out by leading universities.
The Language for Results programme has been trialled and evaluated with school partners in England including: Ormiston Academies Trust, Luton First Teaching School Alliance and Luton Borough Council, Britannia Teaching School Alliance, Shireland Collegiate Academy, Hartsdown Academy, Co-op Academies Trust, and Thomas Clarkson Academy.
Participating schools reported that Language for Results helped them to develop a whole school approach to EAL provision. Senior Management and teachers also praised the programme’s transferability to the classroom, which is achieved by applying evidence-informed insights into what constitutes impactful Continuing Professional Development (CPD). For school staff this means providing:
- Practical, transferable strategies, from basic communication skills to targeted differentiation techniques for EAL pupils
- Ready-made resources that can be used and embedded in everyday practice
- Sufficient opportunities to familiarise themselves with, analyse and evaluate such strategies, techniques and resources
Language for Results is offered through:
- Regional Centres of Expertise that work with local schools to develop sustainable EAL provision. The programme is being scaled through this network of Centres
- Training courses delivered by The Bell Foundation, include online webinars, and an annual Summer School.
If you have questions about the programme, please use the Contact Us form.